Sat, Oct 16|
TCKRA Open Water State Championships--course change
Time & Location
Oct 16, 2021, 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Stewart Beach, Stewart Beach, Galveston, TX 77550, USA
About the event
Race fee: $20
Open Water Championship: Important update 10/14/2021:
#1. Race Overview: The forecast has remained steady (~20 MPH wind from NNE, and ~1m swell from NE) and favorable for a downwind course along the beach!
We will change the course from our usual laps, to a downwind course starting at Stewart beach (NE of Galveston Island Beach Patrol building as usual), and ending at Pocket Park #1 (7 ½ mile Rd, near Woody’s Bar). For the first 0.5 miles, we will head straight out to sea, then turn right to follow the beach; details below. We will review course and rules in race/safety meeting at 1:30 PM. The total course distance will be ~9.3 miles. SUP start at 2:00, OC1 start at 2:10, Surfski start at 2:20. Earlier start times may be requested.
#2. Rules: All paddlers are required to have the following items:
- A cell phone, with Sandy's #832-443-5264
- PFD is worn (USCG inflatables are allowed. Same PFD rules as the Gorge Downwind Champs.)
- Leash. If you forget your leash, we will provide one, or you can use a strap etc.
All paddlers must be able to remount--please practice before the race if you aren't 100% sure. Particularly for a downwind paddle, we must emphasize that if you cannot remount, you must not race.
- In any life-threatening emergency, immediately call 911
- Paddlers unable to complete the course should exit the water first, then call Sandy 832-443-5264 to report your status. If you need to be picked up, we will endeavor to arrange this in a timely manner.
- The North wind and waves "curl" toward shore near the beach, but further out, the wind/waves will be pushing somewhat away from shore. If you lose contact with your boat, you may lose it, so don’t forget to attach your leash!
- If swimming and need help, the swimmer should wave paddle (or arms) in the air to signal for help.
- Do not go further from shore than you are comfortable swimming.
#4. Detailed Course Description:
- Start standing on the beach, holding the boat. Since shore break will be minimal, we recommend starting the race with a leash on.
- Paddle straight out to sea (perpendicular to the beach) ~0.5 miles. While going out, follow behind the boats in front of you.
- Turn right (clockwise) around the buoy that we usually make laps around. We will not put our usual large buoy out, so it will only be the smaller lifeguard buoy. If lead boats have trouble finding the buoy, don’t worry, just turn to the right after 0.5 miles or 10 minutes maximum. If you see paddlers in front of you who have turned already, please skip the buoy and just turn behind them.
- Paddle SW, parallel to the beach, maintaining a consistent distance from shore. Depending on the wind/wave exact direction, paddlers may consider gradually moving slightly closer to shore, but generally staying ~0.5 miles offshore is a reasonable idea.
- There are many piers along the way; one of the last large piers is at 61st street, ~5.5 miles into the course--3.8 miles to finish. After this pier, there are no large piers for ~1.9 miles.
- The final large pier is near 89th street, ~7.4 miles into the course--1.9 miles to finish.
- At this point, one should gradually move closer to shore.
- The seawall ends ~8.6 miles into the course ~0.7 miles from the finish.
- Look for the finish line--orange buoy on the beach at Pocket Park #1 (7 ½ mile road near Woody’s bar).
- The finish line will two buoys on the beach. Paddler must pass between buoys to finish. (You may leave the boat in the water or carry your boat.)
Please check the facebook page for updates before driving to the race: https://www.facebook.com/TCKRA
Saturday, Oct 16th
- Registration will begin at 1pm but online registration is HIGHLY preferred (online registration will not close)–see below to register
- Race briefing will be at 1:45pm
- Race start for SUP and anyone wanting a headstart will be at 2pm.
Liability waivers can be filled out online HERE
- The race will have championship classes for Surfski, OC1, and SUP.
- First place trophies will be awarded for winners in each overall category (in Surfski, OC1, and SUP): Men’s, Men’s Masters 50+, Women’s, Women’s Masters 50+, 2nd and 3rd place medals will be given to the same categories.
Directions: When driving to Stewart Beach, go left of the big building once you’ve entered, drive onto fishing/kayaking/handicap access beach.
There are several extra surfski’s available if you want to try one out. Let us know ahead of time and we’ll try to get you set up. Feel free to call/text for questions to Tommy Yonley at 832-443-5194
Open Water Race Entry$20.00